Tuesday, January 22, 2008

i would give up my arm for him!

On sunday I went back to work for the first time in a month!!! good life you say? mm not so much. I've been poor and swamped with school work, but that's not the point of this blog.

I'm putting in a few hours in the Oncology unit with the cancer patients for the next couple of weeks and to my surprise I absolutely loved it. The first time I worked there I kinda had a bad experience but it was all different this time around. The nurses were amazing and the patients were one of kind. Especially this one kid! He has sickle cell. This disease causes someone to have a lot of pain therefore pain meds are essential. He wasn't even my patient and he made a huge impact on me. He is hospotalized quite often and in order to get his pain medication he has to have an IV access. Well his veins aren't all that great so it is hard for them to get a good IV in. On sunday night his IV blew and he was in a lot of pain so they had 3 different nurses come up and poke him about 10 times. Finally I took him down to the ER to see if they had better luck. Man I complain when they take my blood and this poor boy gets poked 12 times before he can get his pain meds. While down in the ER I saw the pain in his eyes from all the pokes and just the pain he was in and it killed me! In that very moment I wished that I could give him my arm. It sounds foolish but I would have done anything to ease his pain. I didn't even know the kid I just wanted him to feel better because he is so full of life and so restriced from all his greatness! Thank God the nurse was able to get it and his torture for the night was over! This kid is amazing, I spent more time with him that night and found out he loves scrubs and he had the seasons there so every now and then i would sneak in his room and have a laugh or two with him. Even better he told me he wanted to become an Oncology nurse to take care of kids like him. I'm telling you this kid is amazing and I hope to see his greatness shine through to the world cause he has a story to tell and I know he will impact many!! ahhh the joy of working at such an amazing place!!!!!=)

2 comments:

Merari said...

tear!

it's funny, i noticed that the people that have the most to complain about are the ones who are the most grateful.

God bless 'em.

Anne Marie said...

aww... very sweet.